Please join AFN in pushing back against amendments that will unnecessarily reduce its impact and effectiveness on SB 91/HB 205 and testify today at 1:30 PM.
- When: Friday, Mar. 18th at 1:30 p.m.
- Call-in number: 1 (844) 586-9085
- Room number: Beltz hearing room 105
- Live video stream: http://www.360north.org/
- That prison is not the only or the best solution to every crime,
- That prison can often do more harm than good,
- That treatment and alternatives to prison are under-funded,
- That SB91 is a smart way to:
- Improve public safety
- Hold offenders accountable
- Reduce spending on prisons
- And reinvest in treatment and community-based services that reduce recidivism
SB 91 and HB 205 will:
- Reform the bail system to ensure that non-dangerous people are not held in jail just because they can’t afford to pay bail,
- Divert people away from prison for nonviolent drug and property crimes, and into alternatives to prison,
- Undo many of the harmful and unnecessary enhancements to criminal penalties that have been adopted in the last decade,
- Expand eligibility for release from prison for those who follow the rules and participate in treatment programming,
- Strengthen supervision in the community to ensure that people who have committed crimes can be safely managed outside of prison,
- And most importantly: Reinvest dollars saved into community-based treatment, prevention, and victims’ services.