Welcome and thank you for your interest in the 2020 AFN President's Awards. Please note that the nomination deadline has been extended. NOMINATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 4:30 PM ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 21, 2020.
2020 President’s Award Eligibility Requirements
1. President Award Nominations are for Living Alaska Natives.
2. The Organizer submitting the nominee affirms that they are of good moral character, have no knowledge of any matters raising questions regarding the nominee’s stability or any past conduct reflecting upon the nominee’s honesty or integrity, i.e., a person of good moral character should not have been convicted of a crime in any jurisdiction that was classified as a felony; or any crime involving dishonesty or harm to a child or children.
3. AFN will host a virtual award ceremony and will work with awardees on their video presentation. No travel will be required.
2020 President’s Award Categories
1. Health – An Alaska Native who has demonstrated strong commitment, competence and sensitivity in the health field, whose accomplishments have improved health care for Alaska Natives. Nominees may be in the health profession involved in the areas of health advocacy, program administration, and professional care.
2. Eileen Panigeo MacLean Education – Named for the late State Legislator, elementary and bilingual teacher, Eileen Panigeo, this award recognizes an Alaska Native who has demonstrated strong commitment, competence and sensitivity in the education field, and whose accomplishments have improved educational opportunities for Alaska Natives. Individuals nominated for this award may be involved in traditional education, preschool, elementary, secondary, or postsecondary education, the nominee can be cultural educator, parents, committee members, school board members, administrators, teacher aides, or other education-related professionals, who have been a positive role model for the Alaska Native community.
3. Hannah Paul Solomon “Woman of Courage” – Named for the late Hannah Paul Solomon, recognizing an Alaska Native woman who demonstrates through their life and work the strengths of our culture and values and tremendous courage.
4. Katie John Hunter-Fisher – An Alaska Native who exemplifies and preserves the spirit of successful subsistence hunting, trapping and sharing, and our way of life. Nominees acknowledge and ensure that the next generations of providers will carry on the traditions and customs in harmony and peace to sustain their extended families.
5. Roger Lang Youth Leadership – Named for the late Roger Lang, former AFN President, who encouraged young people to expand their horizons and challenge themselves to become future leaders. Nominees must be young men of high school or college students, who demonstrate leadership qualities. 6. Small Business – An Alaska Native business owner who has demonstrated success in business as with a commitment to their community, which has improved economic opportunities for Alaska Natives.
7. Gin’tith (Richard Frank) Military Service – An Alaska Native who demonstrates a strong commitment and willingness to serve in the U. S. Armed Forces in the defense of the United States of America. Individuals nominated for this award may be involved in the U. S. Armed Forces in active duty, reserves, National Guard or as a veteran who was honorably discharged from active duty or reserves.
8. Glenn Godfrey Law Enforcement – Named for the late Glenn Godfrey, Colonel and Director of the Alaska State Troopers and Alaska Commissioner of Public Safety. This award recognizes an Alaska Native law enforcement officer, federal, state or local, who has shown outstanding dedication to the safety of the public in any location(s) within Alaska, often requiring heroic courage in the face of danger.
Citizen of the Year — Native person who has demonstrated strong commitment, dedication, and service to the Alaska Native Community and to Rural Alaska (Nominated & selected by the AFN Board of Directors).
Denali — Non-Native person who has demonstrated strong commitment, dedication, and service to the Alaska Native Community and to Rural Alaska (Nominated & selected by the AFN Board of Directors).
Please direct questions to Nicole James at email@example.com.
Have a specific question about Convention?
Please use the form below to tell us about it and be sure to choose your topic so we can get your question to just the right member of the AFN team!